Wednesday, March 24, 2010

White and Nerdy


The other day I was watching a Ziggy Marley concert on TV. Thanks to my high school Religion teacher, I'm a fan of the Marleys. Damien Marley was in concert the night I was in Vancouver, but having had to return to Seattle I was not able to attend the concert. But I've had reggae on the brain ever since. Found Ziggy on On Demand, pushed play and set about doing dishes and laundry to the soundtrack of "but the load gonna come tumblin' down...".

I happened to glance at the TV and saw some dorky white dude totally jamming to the music and laughed thinking: Gosh he looks like a major dork. Then it hit me...I'm white, I'm a dork and I'm totally jamming to the music. What is it about reggae music that makes us all think we're from Kingston?

"They see me strollin', they laughin' and rollin' their eyes 'cause I'm so white and nerdy."

3 comments:

  1. So I turned on the TV here in Pittsburgh this morning. Not sure what channel was on, but there was Ziggy Marley!! And I just read about him on your blog entry just before I turned on the TV! Anyway, he got done singing a song, then some guy announced who would be the next singer on stage and he said something like, "You've just heard the Old Testament, now here is the New Testament, Ziggy Marley's son." Kind of cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just hoping that while you were washing your dishes, that you were rinsing them in warm... or maybe even hot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always hot water, Jen...well, for the last 17 years anyway. 17 years!

    Thanks for the tip. :)

    ReplyDelete