Friday, December 30, 2011

Famous Potatoes

This blog post was going to be about the random things I saw at the Boise Airport.  And I did see some random things.  But, in researching the random things, I realized that Boise has changed quite a bit in the years I've been away.



First of all, Idaho has a state fruit: the huckleberry.  A fruit I've never seen before in my life.  


But by the looks of all of the huckleberry products at the airport, you'd think the state was lousy with them.  I don't think I've ever eaten a huckleberry.  I may have had some huckleberry ice cream.  On the waterfront in Seattle.  Maybe.  Potatoes I've seen.  Potato fields, yup.  But huckleberries, I wouldn't even know where to find them.  


An then there is the Cultural Ambassador:  the Trey McIntyre Project.  I was going to mock the random dancer guy that is our cultural ambassador.  Seriously?  What does ballet have to do with Boise?  But then I looked it up.  And couldn't stop following where each article took me.  I was enthralled.  And completely surprised that no one in Boise had mentioned this guy and his dance troupe to me at all.  

I'm not at all surprised at the friendliness of Boiseans that is mentioned in the articles.  Or that Boiseans are so giving of themselves.  In Boise one smiles at everyone and greets those that pass them on the street.  I miss that.



This one made me laugh.  At the other end of this concourse you have the opportunity to stand on a patch of The Blue (Smurf Turf) with Buster Bronco.  And here, the University of Idaho is giving free Internet to everyone at the airport.  It's like they are saying:  Hey!  There's another public 4 year university in Idaho, it's not just Boise State.  It made me laugh.  Poor Vandals.

No comments:

Post a Comment