Sunday, January 18, 2009

Interplanet Janet



I've been making lots of phone calls to Argentina recently. This week I had to call a teeny tiny little airlines and get some plane tickets for folks traveling down there. Though the airline customer service line said to press 2 for English, only Spanish speakers that continually said "Yes" and eventually hung up answered that line. So our travel agency asked if I could call and book the tickets.

I did and the transaction went smoothly until the customer service agent asked for my name. No one can spell my name properly unless they've known me for years. I never expect anyone to spell either of my names correctly and am accustomed to spelling both out. So when she asked for my name I said my name with a Spanish accent first then last and also spelled both names in Spanish. "Rene: ere, ah, ene, eh, eh & Estewart: ese, te, eh, doble oove, ah, ere, te." First name went fine. There was some difficulty getting the spelling of the last name. I repeated the spelling several times. Finally, after we did some letters in Spanish and English, she got it. Then she says: And your first name is Janet, right?

Janet? Janet?

Here's hoping those poor people actually do have tickets from Rosario to Buenos Aires on the date and time requested. Janet from Ranee? Seriously...how does that happen?

1 comment: