Friday, March 2, 2012

Wicked



I've been hearing and reading about this buffet since the Cosmopolitan opened.  It's been getting some glowing reviews on Yelp.  AND a lot of the food is served in single serving pots and baskets...super hip.



For about $40 you get a fairly nice buffet.  I'm not a huge fan of buffets.  The food usually tastes pretty bland.  But the food here was not bland.  The prime rib was pretty tasty.  The mashed potatoes were addictive.  The mushroom risotto was the best risotto I've ever had.  The bone marrow WAS bland - but I've never had that before, so maybe it is supposed to be bland.


They have a macaroni and cheese station.  When I read about the mac and cheese station I thought it was going to be a place where you could get a variety of different kinds of mac and cheese.  Turns out that's not it.  It is more like an omelette bar - there is macaroni and béchamel and you choose from 4 or 5 different cheeses and about 15 different mix-ins.  I went with the recommendations of the cook.  He recommended cheddar and jack cheese, bacon, mushrooms and asparagus.  It was o.k.  I've had much better mac and cheese locally.


The dessert area of a buffet is usually my favorite.  The Rio buffet is not good, in my opinion, but their dessert area is not bad.  The dessert area at the Wicked Spoon TA-STY.  Again, I went with the recommendations of the man behind the dessert bar.  There were strawberry marshmallows that tasted like Frankenberry.  The caramel tart was super yummy.  The red velvet cookie was not good - hard and tasteless.  The gelato was very good.  And anything with the raspberries was delicious.  I'd go back. I've paid more than $40 for just a good steak at local restaurants.  I felt it was a good deal for the money.  Next time I'd like to try brunch.   

No comments:

Post a Comment