Sunday, November 30, 2008

Church

Went to Church today. Ran into an Elder (Holden) who lives about 3 blocks from me in the Seattle area. How crazy is that?! It was Primary program day, which, of course, I loved. I think when I went to Church in Vegas it was Primary program day and again when I was home last at Lynda's ward. My favorite Primary program was at Tyson and Kendra's ward where that little 5 year old was singing at the top of his lungs, but not singing the actual lyrics to the songs. Just whatever words he happened to like, I guess. It was hilarious.

The program today made me cry cause it made me think of my mission and missions in general. And the kids were super cute. Then the Bishop got up to speak after the program and really made me think of all of the kids in my family. The Bishop was sharing a story from his mission...when he was teaching a man the man was so moved by what was being discussed that the man told the Bishop/Elder that he knew that if the Savior could teach him, he would. But since the Savior couldn't teach him, He sent this Bishop/Elder to teach him in the Savior's place. The Bishop then said that each of the children in our families were sent to us with the express commandment that we teach them and care for them as our Heavenly Father would. We must treat them as our Heavenly Father would treat them and love them as our Heavenly Father would love them. This, of course, can be a no brainer. Love and care for your kids. We all know that.

[emotional homily]
Then I started thinking about the kids that are having trouble. That are either in trouble or looking for it. Your parents are only taking their jobs seriously. They are treating you as your Heavenly Father would want them to treat you. They are holding you responsible for your choices so that you can be a responsible adult when that time comes. I know you think you know better than your Mom. But cut her some slack. She's doing the best she can with the responsibility she's been given and with a child that's fighting her every other step of the way. You may have never asked her to do what she's doing, but your Heavenly Father did and eventually she'll have to answer to Him about her stewardship over you. He'll ask did she fight for you at every opportunity. And she will say that she did...not because she knew she'd have to answer to Him, but because she loves you more than anything in the world. Anything. 
[/emotional homily]

Here's the chapel...in the middle of a really busy street. Built in 1974. 2 wards meet there. It's like a miniature regular chapel.  Everything is exactly the same, just on a smaller scale.

Went on a bit of a walk after Church to get some fotos and see a bit more of the city. I love trees. And I love the squares throughout the city. It's a nice way to break up all the concrete jungle.

It feels as if I've been here for quite some time. And it's only been 2 weeks. This time next week I'll be back in Newcastle in my own apartment with my own bed. I'm beginning to get nostalgic for Argentina already. Not only will I miss the delicious food, but I will miss the people I've been helping out. They are so kind and genuine and a joy to help.

Speaking of...Juan totally hooked me up with a music suggestion.  Jorge Drexler is from Uraguay and his music is right up my alley.  Here's a duet he did with the guy that sings La Flaca. (video is totally a U2 homage)




And here's another song that makes my mouth just drop open in awe of how beautiful his voice is.  Seriously...I could listen to this guy all day, every day. 



Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Ranee's to do list:

    1. Figure out how to smuggle home some of that AMAZING beef.
    2. Ditto on the Americana ice cream too. It's quite possibly THE BEST vanilla ice cream on the planet. Interestingly enough... it's Argentina's version of American Vanill ice cream and it's WAY better than ANY vanilla ice cream I've had here in the states!
    3. Kidnap Jorge Drexler and bring him to my house so he can talk and sing to me all day in that amazing voice. :D
    4. Do all that and come home safely! Your family's version of Thanksgiving dinner will be here when you get here... along with TONS o' hugs and kisses from Collin and Hunter!

    ReplyDelete