Saturday, November 29, 2008

Thanksgiving fotos...

The hotel did an amazing job with our Thanksgiving Dinner. It was absolutely delicious. They made 3 turkeys...moist and yummy. And 3 different kinds of potatoes (see below). Mashed, roasted regular potatoes and roasted sweet potatoes. Finally...enough potatoes! And the gravy was the absolute best gravy I've ever had in my life. In lieu of cranberry sauce there was a divine plum sauce. Homemade applesauce, carrots, caramelized onions, several different types of gravy and sauces. They just kept bringing the food out from the kitchen. It was a very nice thing for the hotel to do for us.

After dinner Debbie, New Guy and I headed up north of the city to an area that's listed as "Complejo Turistico" (Tourist Complex). I thought for sure there'd be some sort of something to see. Turns out...not so much. Though we were able to get photos of the brown Parana river and this HUGE bridge that links the city to a little town on the other side of the river. I only saw commercial trucks cross the bridge, I'm not sure that regular people ever cross the bridge. We inquired about heading over to the small town to see what there is to see but could only get there if we paid a cab to take us and wait for us while we walked around the town until we were ready to return. For a little over $100 US. Wasn't worth it to us. New Guy and I decided we'd see a bit more of Argentina in a different way. More on that later.



We then walked down the coast to a private beach...which means it's not really private, you just have to pay a little over $1 US to go on it. So what would that be? A pay for use beach? I was hot and hot and...oh yeah, hot. It was over 95 degrees. I just wanted to get out of the sun.

Debbie bought a gift for Ben from this homeless guy living out of his car with who I can only guess were his wife and child. She wanted me to barter with the man on the price. And when I did, I got a 10 minute lecture on the economy of Argentina and how he worked for 30 years only to lose his job and how much he spends on food every week for his family and lots of other things. (The great thing about my Spanish being rusty is that I can just turn the Spanish off in my head...so after about 5 minutes I just pretended to be listening.) So Ben...I hope you like your gift, cause it cost me some patience.

We were going to go get some ice cream. Got lost on the way to find it...ended up back at the chapel during the day. They walked around while I listened to the ward member that was there waiting for the power to turn back on so he could make a napolitana for the Stake Young Men/Young Women's dinner that night. You know...now that I think about it...speaking the language is sometimes a hinderance as I'm stuck responding to people when everyone else is off exploring and ignoring the conversation cause they don't understand it anyway. Oh well...being polite is a small price to pay.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment