Wednesday, November 26, 2008

I promise this entry wasn't going to be about food...

It seems that most of the entries I've had lately have been about food. So today the entry was going to have architectural fotos and be about our adventure to the Central Post Office. Debbie and I need some stamps to send the nifty postcards we found in Buenos Aires (haven't seen any postcards here). I figured we could get some stamps anywhere, but why not see if there's a central post office in a really old, large building filled with history and culture? That way Debbie could get some great photos and we'd see a bit more of the city.
So...they have a Central Post Office just as I had hoped. But...turns out the electricity was out, so no stamps for us. And when Debbie took her camera out of her bag to take a foto she was approached by a security guard/police man who simply said, "No."
Here's the one photo I was able to take. Behold! The three windows of the side of the Central Post Office.

That was a bust.

Lucky for us we found this awesome sweetbread and coffee shop. Brownie, it's called. And Debbie said the brownies are de-lish. I haven't tried mine yet, in fact, I forgot I got one until just now...I know what Ranee's having for breakfast tomorrow.


Argentine/Spanish lesson for the day: our equivalent of danishes/sweet breads is "facturas" and what we would call treats/petit fours (ok, so that's a French word, but you know what I mean) are called "masas." Masas are what are found below. I've yet to see a proper "to go" box here. They wrap everything in paper with a nice Christmas ribbon. So not only do you get the joy of eating the treats you bought, but it's like a little gift to yourself (or to your hips as the case may be).

Here's a foto of the "masas." Yes...I did eat a lot of these. I bought them to "share" with my co-workers, but they were slow to try them, so I ate quite a few. The white pointy one was yummy...I've always been a fan of meringue. And the cream inside the puffs is sweet, delicious and...mmm....creamy.

We were actually going to go to a satellite post office after the Central Post Office bust, cause we still needed the stamps. So we walk the 7 blocks down and one block over to where they postal worker told us the satellite office would be. Yeah, couldn't find it. Ended up asking a lady and her daughter on the street who 1. had no idea what I was asking for (estampillas or sellos) and 2. then directed me to a travel agency. Useless. When it turns out, the satellite office was right across the street. Too bad they didn't think to put a large sign outside the office to let clueless American's and clueless Argentines know where it was.


Yeah, like that one.  :)

To add to our clueless American reputation, tonight Debbie and I caught a cab (no, not the Cash Cab) to go find the local ward building at about 9:30 pm. (Apparently there are 4 or 5 of them here in the area.) The address from lds.org is wrong. The cabbie kept telling me that if he took me to that address he'd be dropping us off in the middle of a park. So he called dispatch and asked where the Mormon Church was on that street. Dispatch gave him the cross streets and off we went...to an Evangelical church. I had to explain to the taxi driver that though I'd never actually been to the specific Mormon chapel I was seeking, it was definitely NOT the Evangelical church. The differences may not be noticible to him, but the huge, colorful posters hanging from the Evangelical church buildings outside walls were a big give-a-way. We found it and no one was there. (We thought Mutual might still be going on, cause it's Wednesday night after all.) So we asked him to take us to a good ice cream place.

 And what do we happen upon on our way to the ice cream place? A proper Mormon chapel that looks like a smaller version of any Mormon chapel in the US surrounded by huge buildings. I'll post fotos on Sunday.

Here's some marscapone ice cream. It's ever so delightful. And was a fitting reward for being a clueless American all evening.


We got the following invitation slipped under our hotel room door this afternoon on hotel stationery: "In honor of Thanksgiving Day, we will serve a traditional American meal in Our Restuarant tomorrow, Thursday at 12:30 p.m. We hope you join us" and signed with the name of the restaurant. It looks like tomorrow's post will feature food as well...and a description of our Argentine chef's idea of what Thanksgiving dinner should be. Bated breath...I know you'll all be waiting with bated breath.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment: