Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Macdono


If you ever find yourself in Argentina and want to go to McDonalds you must tell the cab driver you'd like to go to "Macdono."  Saying McDonald's will get you nowhere.  I tried several variations of saying McDonald's with different pronunciations...the cab driver just sat there.  I happened upon "macdono" and the cab driver said:  Oh!  Macdono!  Hay varios a qual quieren ir? (Oh!  Macdono!  There are many...which do you want to go to?)  Just a little tip from me to you.

I got a grilled chicken sandwich, which was actually better here than in the States.  It was a proper chicken breast, not chicken breast pieces.  The fries were o.k.  I did have one heck of a yummy ice cream today on my way home from work.  Wish I would have gotten a foto of that.  Oh my gosh it was so good.  No clue what the name of it was...Mascarpone algo (something).  I asked the girl behind the counter which she liked and she gave me a sample of it.  So delish!  It's Mascarpone cheese ice cream with some sort of berry/fruit mixed in.  Heaven.

I'm really enjoying it here.  I think I'm going to head out tomorrow morning before work and see a bit more of the city.  We took a cab into the downtown part of the city to get to Macdono and it was gorgeous.  What continues to surprise me is how half the city is abandoned and the other half is thriving.  The abandoned part is intermingled into the thriving part.  One business doing well (like Macdono) right across the street from another (a cinema) that obviously hasn't been open for 15 - 20 years.   It's like this all over.  People say it's due to the unstable economy here.  It's certainly nice for the US exchange rate 3 of theirs to 1 of ours.  (Though that exchange rate didn't really matter when we decided to look up the price for the Madonna concert in Buenos Aires the weekend we're there:  $210 American.  Man...that's a lot.  So no Madonna concert for us - How much fun would that have been and in Argentina?!)


Here's a foto from the little elevator that takes me up to the roof (see foto below).  I feel that the reason children under 12 cannot ride in the elevator is because they don't want to risk killing the young...the thing is so rickety I think the cable will snap each time I'm in it.

3 comments:

  1. Love the skyline. I'm glad you've been able to eat some "normal" food. I was a little worried about your food options with what you posted on your previous post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suspect you wouldn't have enjoyed Madonna anyway. Seems lately she's been a bit of a (insert "b" word here). And... even though she would be in Argentina you can bet she'd STILL be saying something about our new President Elect and bashing our current President. Outspoken perfoming artists are just.... ugly and not enjoyable to watch. :) See you soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm jealous! i've eaten at McDonalds in every country that i've been to. I'm making an ongoing life goal to continue to do that ;)

    ReplyDelete