Monday, July 13, 2009

An Honest Mistake

A few weeks ago Kellye and I went to see Green Day. The Bravery opened the show. I remembered that I liked The Bravery. Turns out I only really like one song of theirs, the opener. The rest of the songs were enyah. I did entertain myself with trying to figure out why the bassist was wearing a devil's mask. And not just a face mask, but a full head Strong Bad style mask. Wasn't he hot? Was he recovering from some plastic surgery? Was it his attempt at making amends for previously exposing himself at concerts? Who knows.

The Green Day part of the concert was actually pretty incredible. I don't count myself among Green Day's fans and probably wouldn't have attended this show had Kellye not asked me to go with her...but man do they put on one great show.

Billy Joe swore entirely too much and I was only familiar with about 1/2 of the songs...knew the actual lyrics to 2 songs (Basket Case and Good Riddance). But even with that, it was one of my top 5 arena concerts. Billy Joe brought a little kid up on stage at the beginning of the show...totally made his day. And he didn't stop there. He brought several other people up to sing and dance then inviting them to jump off the stage and crowd surf. He borrowed audience member's sunglasses and when a 16 year old kid asked Billy Joe if he could play his guitar, Billy Joe let him, and the kid rocked it.


There were fireworks and actual fire. A huge video screen behind them that displayed lots of different things throughout the the show. Crazy antics throughout and an ending of millions of pieces of confetti being shot into the air. And the tickets were only $50. Why other artists charge upwards of $150 for a show ticket is beyond me...I'm looking at you U2.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. About the U2 comment... EXACTLY! I do know the standing room GA tickets are only $55 and if you are lucky enogh to be one of the first callers when tickets go on sale and you're able to score only one ticket even though you wanted to buy 10 for your family and friends it's TOTALLY WORTH IT! Stnding 10 feet away from Bono, The Edge and Adam most of the evening was like heaven. And Larry... well... need we say more? :)

    Ben says: They charge that much because... people PAY that much. :)

    Still doesn't make it an easy $250 pill to swallow. Like you said to me earlier last week... NO concert is worth paying that much!

    Alas.... I will have to wait another year or two for U2.

    ReplyDelete