Thursday, July 23, 2009

Oh puh-leez!

2 things made me roll my eyes in disbelief tonight.


First, I've never really thought about Katie Holmes. I knew of her, of course. I never watched Dawson's Creek, but those Pacey and Joey commercials were ubiquetous (though I still don't know which one was Joey and which was Pacey). And then when Tom Cruise went crazy she was the cause...or he has always been crazy and everyone finally noticed. Jury's still out. But Cat Deeley has been promoting her appearance on SYTYCD for what seems like 3 seasons now. Katie Holmes did a fine enough job on Eli Stone, so I was mildly interested to see what dance she would do with the Season 5 team. I figured it would be Broadway-something-or-other cause she did some show on Broadway and if I recall correctly the Eli Stone number was Broadway-ish, no?

How disappointing was that "performance?" She wasn't actually on the show. She taped a segment with Cat and then they ran film of her routine. I know I'm new to SYTYCD, but has that ever happened before? A canned performance like that, I mean besides the musical guests on Thursday nights that may or may not be lip syncing? I was looking more for something similar to last season when both Mary and Nigel danced with contestants or guests...on the stage...before the live studio audience. It was a let down and a complete waste of SYTYCD time. I would have rather seen The Door or one of the other Emmy nominated dances.

What I did like, however, was her skirt. I'm a sucker for pleats. And patent leather, which doesn't apply here, but still.

Second, the local news had a segment about a "Top Secret" Starbucks. They teasted it during SYTYCD so I recorded the news. I had visions of a VIP Starbucks that only people with a Black Card could get into or something super interesting like that. Gold plated coffee collars, beluga caviar in the pastry display, or Juan Valdez as barista. But no...turns out Starbucks is opening a new shop in Seattle under a different name...15th Avenue Coffee and Tea. And the people on the news were all up in arms that Starbucks is being so secretive. Saying the new shop was copying decor from neighboring stores, deceiving people being generally angry about the whole thing. I was amazed it was a news story. I mean, couldn't they have found something about Michael Jackson...that would have been more interesting...and I think I already know all I want to know about MJ. So a huge company is trying to diversify? Who cares? They already have a bit...it's called Seattle's Best Coffee. I don't understand why everyone is acting as if they've been betrayed or are so angry about it. Not just the people on the street interviews, but the anchors were even offended and the reporter confronted the Starbucks employees in such an accusatory manner that one would have thought they were serving baby penguins on the menu. Seriously?

Best thing I saw on TV tonight? Sean Puffy P. Diddy John Combs trying to explain what Malaria is "If you get Malaria it's not really good." and if it can be cured "We gotta get the nets." Go to MalariaNoMore.org or .com. Totally a HomeStarRunner moment. "It's dot com."

3 comments:

  1. About Katie Holmes: I actually said to the TV (outloud) ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!? I was so completely disappointed with the entire show... Katie Holmes, then Janette being eliminated. I mean did ANYONE see her last week? She and Brandon did an AMAZING tango and then the MESMERIZING jazz routine. She was just FLAWLESS! America TOTALLY got it wrong, AGAIN! First Obama, now this?!? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Obama comment made me snort. Hilarious and totally unexpected.

    Go Evan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just yesterday my friend Annie and I were chatting about what goofy costumes I could make for my kids for Halloween. She suggested something from HomeStarRunner for Henry and I had no idea what she was talking about. NOW I KNOW!! I have seen the light. Now I need only enlighten my son adn see what HE thinks.

    ReplyDelete