Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Things to Do in Seattle When It's Hot

It is unbearably hot here. UNBEARABLY. Over 100º. In Seattle. Where the average temperature in July and August is 75º. That's 25º over normal. That, in and of itself, is enough to make a body boil. Add to that the fact that air conditioning is not the norm here and most apartments and homes do not come with any sort of air conditioning. It is so hot that ALL of the hotels in the Seattle area are booked solid with locals trying to escape the heat. AND...there are no air conditioners or fans available in the entire Pacific Northwest.

The long and the short of it is that I got home tonight at a little after 8:30 pm and it was 94º in my apartment and 96º outside. At 11:13 pm it is now 83º. How am I supposed to sleep in that heat when I'm used to a low of 57º at night?

Well here's how:

I use the freezer, some water and A LOT of gallon ziploc bags.
Right before bed I take a super cold shower then eat a cherry popscicle.
I then take the ice pack and put it on my stomach or chest.
A frozen pillow case goes around my neck.
I take a frozen sheet and wrap it around my body.
Then I sleep for about 2 hours.

I get up and repeat.
Except I replace the ice pack and trade it for the melted bag o'ice.

Here's what my freezer looks like.

I have just about as much frozen linens in my freezer as I have frozen food.

When I'm not sleeping and not at work, I'm trying to accomplish things whilst in my apartment. Blogging, doing the dishes, doing laundry, talking on the phone, etc. How do I cope with the heat then? Well I take a body pillowcase out of the freezer.

After it's unwrapped, it goes around my neck for about an hour. I also have a fan pointing right at me.

So if you ever find yourself in Seattle when it's hot...I suggest you have a lot of extra bed linens and room in your freezer. Better yet, get an air conditioner before Summer sets in.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. Way to think outside the box Ranee!...air conditioning box, that is :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK that is seriously the funniest thing ever to see your freezer. You absolutely crack me right up. I feel bad for you, I do. I laugh not at your suffering, dear friend, only at your means of overcoming such obstacles. You rock! Good luck in your terrible heat. May the force be with you.

    ReplyDelete