Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Food Trucks A Go Go


Food trucks have just exploded all over Seattle and are starting to venture over here to the East side.  There's a dessert truck called Street Treats.  I've been trying to get to their truck for a couple of weeks.  I finally caught up with them at the Get Out! Summer at SAM event last Thursday.  I arrived toward the end of the event and was able to walk right up to the truck and ask the food truck lady to give me the ice cream sandwich she'd recommend.  They make homemade ice cream and homemade cookies.  She gave me chocolate ice cream in between two still warm peanut butter cookies.  The ice cream was creamy and the cookies were just as creamy.  They held up very well and did not crumble - which is key feature of any cookie I eat (that isn't a polvorón).  I had planned to eat dinner at the curry truck, but after eating my dessert first, curry just didn't appeal to me.




On Wednesday night I ate dinner with a friend/co-worker visiting from Denver.  He had not heard of the great food truck invasion.  I offered to show him what it was all about, but the food trucks here are open only for lunch and then again at 9:30 for the bar crowd.  I did, however, find a food truck that had decided to open a diner at a permanent location.  AND they had POUTINE!  I love poutine.  I got grilled cheese (with brie and a few other kinds of cheese that I don't recall).  It wasn't real poutine but it was still yummy, and the grilled cheese was good, but I've had better.  Now the Caprese salad with heirloom tomatoes I had for a starter was terrific.  


But the thing that will get me back was the dessert.  Coconut pound cake squares swimming in a passion fruit custard topped with mascarpone and fresh raspberries and blackberries.  


All in a large canning jar.  It was, quite possibly, one of the best things I've eaten in years.  Also:  our waiter was fantastic.  He made great recommendations AND he called Brad: Doll.  LOVE it!

1 comment: