Wednesday, September 21, 2011

This isn't a zoo...

My sister Debbie came to visit recently.  We did the Bainbridge Island trip - all of my favorite things to do on the island.  We ate brunch at Cafe Nola, walked along the shore then had ice cream at Mora.  




There was a dock we were able to amble down and get a bit closer to the water and the boats.  We lamented that our parents sold the sailboat we were barely ever on.  We discussed House Hunters International where a couple was looking for a houseboat.  We took photos (see above).




As I was taking the above photo.




Debbie was taking this photo.




The woman, who I assume lives on this houseboat, came out on her deck and muttered, just loud enough for me to hear her - but not Debbie who was a few feet away, "This isn't a zoo, you can move on now."


I almost keeled over with laughter at her passive/aggressive comment.  And I imagined how different this story would be if relayed by her:  "So Saturday I was doing some cleaning around the house and these two women came walking down the dock, stopped a few feet from my house and just talked.  And talked.  And they kept talking.  I had hidden in the house for fear that they might say Hello or smile at me - and who has time for those types of pleasantries?  I had to sit in my house for a good 5 minutes.  Finally, just as I couldn't stand it any longer, I decided to give them a piece of my mind and told them to move along, that this wasn't a zoo for you to gawk at the people living in houseboats.  That sure told them...they finally ran off.  Dumb tourists!"


I love people.  The world would be a pretty boring place if it weren't for all of the people (except for the Vatican museum...that place is overwhelming with interesting AND lousy with people).

1 comment: