Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Salumi



I'd heard about this place a few years ago.  And what I'd heard about the most...



...was the line outside the little shop.  I'd heard that every day the line was out the door and around the block.  And with their funky hours I'd have to leave work before around 10:30 to get to Pioneer Square, find a parking spot and get in line.  I'd also heard there was very little seating, so I'd end up eating in my car - not looking forward to that.

But Kellye and I decided to brave the odds and give the deli a try.  And boy am I glad we did.  We arrived in Pioneer Square just before 11 and found a parking spot directly across the street.  At 10:55 am there was no one in line.  At 10:56 am there were 10 people in line.  We were 9 & 10.  



The women behind the counter were very helpful.  Kellye and I split our sandwiches.  I got the porchetta sandwich (above) and Kellye got a salami sandwich with fresh mozarella cheese.  (And I got some hot sopressata to go - it was like chorizo pamplona from Spain.  LOVED it.)  The porchetta half sandwich was so huge I couldn't eat more than just a bite of the salami sandwich.  It made a tasty dinner.  And the hot sopressata made a walk-down-memory-lane lunch for the next two days.  

The first picture is the line as we left.  If you go to Salumi Artisan Cured Meats, get there before 11 on a Wednesday or Thursday.  You won't have to wait in line for terribly long AND you'll get a seat at dinner table inside with all you can drink tasty water.  I can't vouch for the line during the summer high tourist season months, it may be long all 5 hours they are open.  And don't even try going on the weekend.  They are closed Saturday, Sunday and Monday.  

No comments:

Post a Comment