Saturday, December 20, 2008

It's snowing and I'm peeling...

...and I don't ski. Argentina stays with me. (Until I stop peeling, that is.)


A few days ago it started snowing...little balls of snow. It looked like fake snow. There wasn't a lot of it, but certainly more than the people here are used to. Almost the entire office called in Snow Day. As I was driving to work I was completely astonished by just how bad the drivers were. Going so slow up a hill that there is no way they were ever going to make it. So they gave up, stopped the car, got out and walked away. Just left the car. Who does that?
The Seattle area doesn't get a lot of snow, so people aren't used to driving in it. And even with the threat of snow, people stay home. This road is usually back to back traffic and the shopping center is usually full of cars. The nice thing is that with people not travelling on the roads, the roads stay wintery and white. 


The unfortunate thing about the wintery roads and inexperienced winter drivers are accidents. A co-worker and I were walking down to the shopping center below and saw this big, gaping hole in the brick wall. You could see right into the restaurant's kitchen down below. If you look closely you can see a yellow/orange speck about 3 bricks above the hole. We decided a large white truck slid on the snow, jumped the curb and the sidewalk and ran into the wall and gave the Square Lotus (the restaurant) some instant ventilation. 

I've spent the weekend watching Holiday movies. I love the Fa La La La Lifetime and Hallmark movies. There's just a few basic premises to these movies, and there is little variance and no surprises. Completely predictible. But I love them. Some of them end up being very well done and bring tears to my eyes. Hooray for cheesy Holiday movies.

There's a storm expected tonight. The powers that know these things are warning of no electricity for the following week due to the gusts of wind. As long as the airport has electricity and can get me out of here and home on Wednesday, I'm happy.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment