Thursday, December 11, 2008

Peaceful Sunburn

After we saw Garganta del Diablo (Devil's Throat) we took a peaceful raft ride back toward the hotel along another section of the Iguazu river with our guide Juan (see bel0w). The river is so calm it's difficult to think that just a few hundred feet down the river are amazing falls. This part of the river empties into the first fotos of the falls I posted.



Juan was pretty amazing himself. If he saw any bit of wildlife he would flip that raft around so fast and row towards it so we could see it. For a skinny little guy, he's sure pretty strong. And butterflies like him. There were some Spanish speakers at the front of the raft and myself with New Guy, a French girl that spoke some English, a French girl that didn't speak at all and a guy from SFO. The guide would tell the people at the front of the raft some thing about the river or the flora and fauna and I translated the interesting bits for New Guy. By the end of the raft ride the French/SFO group looked to me to translate everything. I felt like I should have gotten a tip. 



We saw a few crocodiles, ants nests, different kinds of birds and learned a lot about bamboo. The river was pretty shallow...a few centimeters lower and they won't be able to run the river raft tour. This crocodile was either getting some sun or taking a nap...

The raft ride, like the whole trip to Iguazu, was an impromptu thing. All of my sunscreen having been washed off by our boat trip underneath the falls, I got quite the sunburn on my face and arms. Totally worth it though. The raft ride was a nice way to end our trip.

We saw quite a bit of the falls in our short 24 hours there. We didn't make it to the island and we didn't make it to the Brazil side either. It is quite possibly the most amazing thing I've seen in my life. It's also inspired me to travel more. There's so much of the world to see.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment