Sunday, June 7, 2009

Lee is my Joseph!



For the past few weeks I've been rather invested in the Any Dream Will Do series on BBC America.  I don't really watch American Idol, but these shows that are casting stunts for Broadway/West End shows I totally watch.  Because I love Broadway musicals.  Especially Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.  Such a great show.  In fact, I knew that once I started watching the show I would need to listen to my Joseph CD... but I couldn't find it anywhere.  So before I watched the first episode I had to order a new CD from amazon.  I then listened to it non-stop for weeks.  


And watched every episode of Any Dream will Do every week.  Debbie was watching it as well, so we'd discuss it.  In fact, on the way to McCall over Memorial Day weekend, we discussed it so much in the car that Lynda watched it the next week.  Which was the week I found out...

Andrew Lloyd Webber kept saving one of the singers, Lewis.  He was consistently getting the least amount of votes from the British public, and yet Andrew kept saving him EVERY week.  And finally, last week, I'd had enough.  I thought Lewis looked like too much like Barbie and sang too much like me (from the top of my throat, no real depth to my voice) to be Joseph.  I decided that though the show was happening in the UK, there had to be a way for me to vote online or via text message or something.  Lewis was NOT going to be my Joseph.  I preferred Lee, but Keith would do as well.  Just not Lewis.  I was very serious about it.  

A quick search of the Internet revealed that even though I was completely invested in this show, anticipating it every Sunday, anxious for the singers each week and crying with them when they cried (except for Lewis, because he cried ALL. THE. TIME.) and very serious about finding a way to vote for Lee, it didn't really matter.  Because the show originally aired in the UK in 2007.  Lee had indeed won, he was not only my Joseph, but apparently most of the voter's Joseph as well.  Not only that, he had already completed his West End contract as Joseph and had recently married won of the judges from Any Dream Will Do.  

I thought the knowledge of who had won would have tainted my viewing of the last episode tonight.  But it didn't.  Debbie called me to tell me that Lee had won when I had just begun watching the episode and I almost chided her for telling me who had won since I hadn't gotten there yet.  When I remembered that I already knew.  So kudos to BBC for making me forget what I thought I knew and drawing me in again for one last week of Joseph.



Yay Lee! 

1 comment:

  1. The missing upper lip thing really bothered me. Other than that, he was my Joseph too. :)

    ReplyDelete