Monday, February 14, 2011

That's What She Said

Auguste Bartholdi designed the Statue of Liberty and in the pedestal exhibit they've included this quote of his. Ironically, you know what isn't as big as you think it is? The Statue of Liberty! It and it's pedestal is just a bit over half as tall as the Washington Monument.

Even though it's not as big as you'd like it to be, it's still pretty amazing. I enjoyed it. Lots of stairs and lots of wind, but totally worth it. Ellis Island was a beautiful building. We walked through it a bit, but I think I would have enjoyed it more had we gone on a tour. The complex is just so huge and there's only one building open to the pubic. I'm interested to know a bit more about it. You know what I did learn? They charge you $5 to look at the records and see if your family passed through there. There seems to be something wrong about that.

Battery Park is FAMOUS! I've seen it in so many NYC based movies, yet I never knew it was Battery Park. I assumed it was Central Park. And it could be that Central Park has similar benches - I haven't made it there yet - but I'm pretty sure I've seen Battery Park in movies before.

While walking through the Financial District we happened upon this street with 3 (actually 4) names. Federal Plaza, Duane St, FBI Special Agent Leonard W. Hatton Jr Street and O'Dwyer something or other. The O'Dwyer name was on the pole behind me. So my questions are many: What is the actual name of this street? Why must it have 4 names? Isn't naming a street meant to honor someone? How honored would you feel if the street they named after you had 3 names already?

I've enjoyed my time here in NYC and, at first, thought I could live here, no problem. I have now ammended that opinion. I could live here, but I'm not sure I would choose to live here. After 4 days of non-stop people EVERYWHERE, I just want to go somewhere and be ALONE. Even the parks here are more crowded than I'd like. However, if I could be guaranteede a relatively empty park on a regular basis and unlimited tickets to Broadway shows (both on and off), yeah, I'd move here.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment