Sunday, April 22, 2012

Apples and Lemons

My Sunday School class and I played a game of Draw Something (kind of) a few weeks ago.  I told them if they ended up with more coins than me I would make whatever treats they chose.


Turns out they chose apple pie and lemon bars.





I hadn't made an apple pie since I was 14 or 15.  



I found this recipe for upside down apple pie with a caramelized pecan topping which sounded absolutely delicious.




And I didn't need to make a crust from scratch.  Which Alton Brown promises me I can do successfully, I just don't know that I can trust him, because he really doesn't know me.



So store bought crust it was!



The kiddos liked the pie and it was yummy.  And absolutely easy to make.



The lemon bars were uber-lemony.  And the crust was super easy.  The only change I would make to the lemon bars would be to either use only half of the crust dough (because it was just a bit too thick for me) or maybe use a half sheet pan and double the lemon curdy stuff.  I used real lemons and lemon zest and they WERE lemony.

2 comments: